Best Natural Ways to Quit Smoking
There are many products and tips available to a smoker that wants to quit smoking. However, some of these products introduce harmful substances into the body.
One popular line of products available to smokers looking to kick the habit are nicotine replacement therapies. These work to release small amounts of nicotine into the body so that the cravings for a cigarette are reduced and withdrawal symptoms are muted. However, these are not necessarily natural ways to quit smoking. You are still putting the same addictive substance into your body that you are trying to get rid of by not smoking. Because of the nicotine in these products, they can be habit forming on their own.
Prescription medications are also available for smokers to quit the habit. However, you should research these products very carefully:
- They contain synthetic products that are made in laboratories. They are most decidedly not found in nature.
- It is believed that these synthetic products do work to alter the brain's chemistry to reduce your cravings and withdrawal symptoms. However, they can alter the chemistry in a way that is harmful. The side effects created by these products include suicidal thoughts, suicidal behavior, hostility, and even depression. These side effects are common enough and dangerous enough that the Food and Drug Administration decided to place their strongest warning on these drugs. Studies have shown that they are effective between 30% and 45% of the time. This is only around 25% better than a smoker who quits cold turkey.
The good news is that there are more natural ways to quit smoking available.
Break the Habit - Natural Ways to Quit Smoking
Ways to break the psychological habit of smoking are almost all natural. As discussed above, the most ineffective way how to stop smoking is to quit cold turkey. For 20 people that decide to use this method, only one or two will remain cigarette free after three months. While this is a natural way to quit smoking, it is not effective way. With this in mind, here are a few natural ways to stop smoking:
- Set a goal. Since quitting overnight probably won't end in success, pick a date eight to 12 weeks in the future when you want to be cigarette free.
- Motivate yourself. There are several ways to accomplish this:
- There is a reason or several reasons why you want to quit smoking. Post these in places where you will be constantly reminded why you are kicking the habit.
- Make it a competition. If you know others that are trying to stop smoking, set a goal together and have a prize at the end for the one who is most successful.
- Reward yourself. Depending on where you live, you could be spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year on cigarettes. Use some of the money you are going to save to treat yourself as you reach important milestones along the path to being smoke free.
- Develop a plan. Put together a plan that lasts for eight to 12 weeks that will slowly reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke each day.
- Tell your family and friends. Studies show that when you publicly declare your goal, you are more likely to achieve it. Plus, your family and friends might be able to hold you accountable. It is also important to explain to your family and friends that you will experience withdrawal symptoms such as irritability, trouble sleeping, anxiety, and maybe even headaches. By explaining this to them in advance they will probably be more patient and understanding as you go through the process of quitting smoking.
While these are excellent and natural ways to stop smoking by breaking the habit, you still need a natural way to break the addiction.
Break the Addiction - Natural Ways to Quit Smoking
If you are looking for natural ways to quit smoking that will break your body's addiction to cigarettes, there is good news. There are herbal supplements that are available that will reduce your brain's craving for nicotine and will ease the withdrawal symptoms you might experience while you work to quit smoking. While these supplements are specially formulated, many of their ingredients can be found in common household items like root beer and candy. Not only do these supplements provide natural ways to quit smoking, but their ingredients may also provide additional health benefits!
If you're ready to stop smoking today, we've reviewed the top solutions. Click here for more information.Top-recommended nicotine-free aids to help you kick the habit for good.