Stop Smoking Aids that Work
There are a lot of stop smoking aids available to smokers looking to kick the habit. However, it is important that you choose the appropriate stop smoking aids for you. It is also important to understand how stop smoking treatments work, how successful you will be, and if there are any side-effects.
Before we examine the stop smoking aids that are available, you should be aware of two things:
- Smoking is a physical addiction and a psychological habit. This means that whatever stop smoking aids you choose, they need to address both the addiction and the habit.
- Week 2 – Only smoke Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Stop Smoking Aids to Address the Habit
Stop smoking aids that help break the habit are great because when employed properly, they can be very effective. Here are some of the best and easily employed stop smoking aids to break the habit:
- Set a goal. Goal setting helps you give a real deadline to stop smoking by. Without a stop date, it is likely that you will be unable to break the habit.
- Make a plan. Since quitting cold turkey does not work, you need a stop smoking aid that will help you gradually break the habit. Take time to sit down and develop a plan to gradually reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke each day. A good plan should take between eight and 12 weeks for you to be cigarette free. If your plan's timeline is too short, you may not be giving yourself enough time to break the habit. If you plan is too long, it may become too complicated to follow.
- Get help. While many communities have support groups, you may be able to enlist the help of family and friends. You will at least want to let them know what you are trying to accomplish and prepare them because they are going to be impacted. As your body experiences cravings and withdrawals, you may find yourself being impatient, anxious, getting headaches, and even having trouble sleeping. Make sure your family and friends understand what you are going through so that they will be patient and understanding. Hopefully, they will also be able to help you on your road to kicking the habit by holding you accountable and helping you avoid temptations.
- Seek alternatives. Try finding substitutes for smoking. This can be a very effective stop smoking aid. For example, if you usually smoke after meals, you might try substituting your cigarette with a toothpick or stick of chewing gum.
- Remember why you want to quit. Smoking is horrible for our health. It is also horrible for the people that are around us the most – our family and friends. It is also very expensive, and it can reduce your quality of life. Write down why you want to quit and post it in places so that you will see it every day. You want to be reminded of why you are quitting so that when cravings or withdrawal symptoms occur, you have something even more powerful to counter them with.
Stop Smoking Aids to Address the Addiction
There are three categories of stop smoking aids that will help your body break the addiction:
- Nicotine replacement therapies. These work by releasing small amounts of nicotine into your body to help break the craving and reduce withdrawal symptoms. These are usually available without a prescription, but it is important to note that you will probably need to use multiple therapies because no single product is equipped to address the types of cravings and withdrawal symptoms you will experience. These therapies can also be habit forming.
- Prescription medications. These require a visit to the doctor and a prescription. They are between 30% and 45% effective. However, they do come with the strongest warning available from the FDA because people can experience severe side effects.
- All natural herbal supplements. These are available without a prescription, and when used as recommended, are not habit forming. Many of the ingredients are readily available at any health food store for other health purposes, and some are even found in candy!
So if you're ready to stop smoking today, click here to see our top reviewed solutions.Top-recommended nicotine-free aids to help you kick the habit for good.